December Days

It's snowing! It's snowing! I'm quite enthusiastic about this winter wonderland. I haven't seen the likes of this in St. Louis for years! But the temperatures haven't been steady enough to keep it on the ground. We get snow or sleet in the morning, then the sun comes out and melts everything by afternoon.

All the necessary preparations for the season are complete - filled up our antifreeze, salted the stairs to our door, put winter tires on the car, and decorated the apartment for Christmas. I'm having a hard time keeping the poinsetta alive, so I put decorations around my succulent instead.

Work is going smoothly. I still don't have too many hours, but the 2 students I have are wonderful. Their names are Gretel and Brigitta (can you get more German-sounding?) and they are such sweet ladies! Today Brigitta gave me a hug at the end of class and said "English lessons, MANY fun!" Don't worry, we'll work on that grammar.
I'm getting more creative and confident with cooking in Metric, but at the same I enjoy the fact that most Germans aer satisfied with a simple open-faced sandwich for dinner. It's a relief to be able to slice up some bread (either fresh from the bakery, or from the "Bread Automat"; push a button, out pops a loaf!) and slap a bunch of Frischkäse on it. Then I mix apple juice with fizzy water, cut up some cucumber and tomato, and dinner is done.

My commute to work is a long one - about an hour total. But I've been spending my time on the train reading, watching the landscape... or listening to strange conversations that happen around me (when I'm desperate). The book I'm currently working on, however, is called "The Honest Liar" by Rafik Schami. He's a Syrian-German author and the story is about a circus in a town in Saudi-Arabia during the 1950s-70s. The book is made up of many small stories. It's ficitonal, but is nontheless full of culture and intrigue! I love it.

No travels lately, but I did get a lovely Christmas card from Sweden (thanks, Jessica!) and we just decided to host New Year's Eve for the Kleinbottwar friend group. So we've got some adventures coming up anyway.

 
 

Comments

  1. You are oh so welcome, my dear! :)
    Did you decide on the two words that doesn't describe you? ;)
    Love!! /Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so - pompous and wicked. I was gonna go with pompous & nut-filled, but I thought twice. hehe

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Up the Alps, Down a "Bier"

Dirndl Fun