Photoshoot and Kegeln

Many of you probably remember a few years ago when I hosted a St. Anthony's kindergarten reunion party... I love seeing how time changes people over the years! So when Fabian found this old photo a few weeks ago, I immediately wanted to recreate it. And they agreed! Of course, 20 years later, it's hard to make the exact same face as you did when you were three, but we were generally successful. Here's the finished product:
 

Since we already had the backdrop and lights set up, we went ahead and made it a full-blown photoshoot! Below, from left to right: Katja, Fabian Joos, Jessi, Fabian, and me.

 
Last weekend, this same group of friends went "kegeln", which is like bowling, except with smaller, lighter balls that only have two finger holes. There are only 9 pins, which dangle on strings to reset themselves. You get a chalkboard for keeping score, and a waiter that brings you whatever drinks or food you desire. The slightly-shorter lanes run in the same direction and you can see the pins of the folks next to you, but a divider closes you off each group's table for privacy, so it's like your own little living room decorated with Kegeln photos and the names of local champs. The table and chairs were solid carved wood, like something you'd find in a old lady's house, and you keep score on a chalkboard. I wasn't very good, which is no suprise of you've seen me bowl. We ordered the mother of all french fry platters - 9 portions on a silver platter - and explored the different score-keeping variations, boys vs. girls.
 
I've been in Germany for 8 months now. I'm feeling more established every day, but also wondering where on earth I'll end up, if I even do "end up" in one place. If settling takes this long, that makes a strong case for staying put for a while. I still love traveling, but I no longer want to do it with the speed and vigor that I did in high school or college. My "real life" is starting now, and it feels good to have silly photoshoots and go Kegeln with a steady group of friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Up the Alps, Down a "Bier"

Dirndl Fun