"Erlaubt" to Drive in Europe

After six months of arguing with the Landratsamt, three weeks of studying, and answering 1,352 possible questions in preparation, I FINALLY PASSED the German written driver's test on Wednesday! 

The test was in a run-down basement with metal frame stacking chairs lined against the walls, where everyone could wait nervously and look over their study guides one last time. Aside from the harder questions, it was remarkably similar to taking the driver's test in the U.S. You show your ID, turn your phone off, sit down at a table separated from your neighbors', etc. What was different, was that I took the test on a touchscreen tablet. Seconds after I finished my test, my results were automatically printed out to the instructor at the front of the room. He signed and stamped it, said "congratulations," and I was on my way.

I treated myself to a cappuccino at the nearest McDonald's (classy, I know) afterward my test and texted out my excitement to Fabian. Then I drove home. The sun was shining, all the trees are blooming, birds were singing, and I cruised down the Autobahn with my windows open, feeling great about life - a situation that I expected to make me feel really European, but in actuality felt more like I was at home in Missouri. I've got permission to drive a car under my belt again, and that feels really familiar, not foreign. Despite driving down the Autobahn.

On Thursday morning I went to the Landratsamt (like the county seat) to pick up my license. I waited for about an hour before I was called in. The woman at the counter had an apprentice with her and when she took my license, she said to the girl, "This is what an American driver's license looks like. You can look it over. It's from Missouri. Now, go fetch her new license please." Surprise surprise! They already had the thing printed and waiting for me, just 23 hours after I passed the test. My Missouri license, which as a bit of a novelty to them, will be stored in their office for the next five years. I'm not allowed to keep it, probably to prevent identity theft or something. But if I travel to the U.S., I can go back to their office and switch it out. I felt a little sad forfeiting it, but I'll probably just tell MODOT I lost it and get another one made in the U.S. this fall. I'd like to have both.

And now here's a picture of me being extremely proud:



I've kept the details blurry for security reasons, but here's a sample (a "Muster") so you can see what they really look like:

Front

Back

The back lists all the kinds of vehicles you're allowed to drive, with little photo versions so you can't possibly get confused and drive the wrong thing. I got a Class B license, which means I can drive mopeds, normal cars (from SmartCar to station wagon), and certain small tractors.

I actually think it's kind of ugly compared to my beloved Missouri license. But it doesn't have to be beautiful if it's functional, I suppose. There is a general European design, and they just switch out the country code in the top left corner - I've got "D" for Deutschland.

It's such a relief to finally have this taken care of! I feel less like an illegal alien now... I never was one in the first place, but without being allowed to do something as basic as driving a car, I definitely felt like a 2nd-class citizen for while. Especially since I come from rural Missouri, where driving around with the windows down has a lot to do with personal freedom, relaxation, seeing new things, etc. I love that I can officially drive again!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Up the Alps, Down a "Bier"

Dirndl Fun