Skiing

Just a few shots from our skiing trip in Allgäu - the "pre-Alp" region of Swabia. Considering my only previous experience was at Hidden Valley in Wildwood, it was pretty impressive to ride the red gondola up above the cloud cover, into the sunshine, and ski at the tip top of these mountains.
 
 
The day began with breakfast at our hotel. Then we met up with the rest of the family (Margit's brother and sister) and headed up to the Ski area. Fabian's aunt Gisela gave me a personalized crash course in skiing, which was really helpful and entertaining. Unfortunately, on my 2nd big practice slope, the fog ascended and covered the direction signs, and we accidentally found ourselves on an intermediate course. The first 100 meters were okay, but then I had to take the skiis off and just walk/slide down on my butt - the fog had turned everything to ice and even the patrons were having a hard time. But after that, I recovered and went back to the bunny slopes. 

 
For lunch we ate at the hut near the gondola station - all the guests clomping around the restaurant with their ski boots on. I had some hearty goulasch and a cappuchino before we headed back out. I stayed on the small slopes and ended up getting faster and better each time. On my very last descent, I shot straight down the 2nd half like a bullet - to test my limits - and "pizza-sliced" myself to a halt just feet in front of the railing. Success!
 
The fog complicated things all weekend, but I'm glad we skiied anyway. I'd never taken a gondola above the cloud cover before, and it was an impressive sight! Like arriving in snow-heaven or something. Hopefully I'll get some more practice in soon, so I can keep up with Fabi on the slopes someday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirndl Fun

Up the Alps, Down a "Bier"