Grappling With Grammar & Ticket Prices

Training for my new job starts on Tuesday. I've bought my "4er Tickets" for the bus/train to and from Stuttgart during the eight days of training. I signed myself up for the yearly public transit plan - I pay for 10 months and get to ride unlimited, day or night, for 12 months. It's a pretty good deal compared to the price of single tickets. Still - and I almost hate admitting this - I am going to be spending  €144 per month (the equivalent of $183) on these suckers. Talk about an arm and a leg! To all you students out there - ENJOY YOUR DISCOUNTS while they last!

In preparation for training, I received a short booklet with materials about grammar, teaching styles, and the history of the company. In one section, I was asked to explain the minute differences in meaning between sentences like "Have you seen him?" and "Did you see him?". Digging back into my brain archives, I discovered that Mrs. Marquart's voice and image are still there in my memory, meticulously explaining everything I need to know on the chalkboard. I hope that woman realizes what a service she did us by assigning all those drills and sentence-mapping exercises over the years!

Another exercise test my knowledge of language teaching history. Did you know there's a language teaching method where, for the first 120 lessons, you only respond physically to your teacher's words in the new language (e.g. "Stand up, please")? You're expected to follow his or her instructions - or not, if you don't feel like it - and you only begin speaking when you feel ready. I wonder if that method is supposed to hearken back to how babies learn language from their parents?

The last facet of my preparation is to come up with a 5-minute presentation on a topic of my choice. On the first day, we will use these presentations as a springboard for conversation about holding an audience's attention, motivating learners, using effective body langauge and making class interesting. I really find it fascinating! I'll have to ignore the little shy Laura Beth that's still hiding inside me from childhood, but I am hoping it will be just like being a tour guide or a Student Ambassador - after a few times, I'll have all the confidence I need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirndl Fun

Up the Alps, Down a "Bier"